Michael Chiarello died last Friday after suffering from an allergic reaction, his representatives said this week.
A new statement published on Tuesday confirms that doctors are still unsure what caused the fatal reaction.
Reps for Gruppo Chiarello told PEOPLE: “The doctors don’t know what caused the allergic reaction and neither does the family. They may never know.”
Best known for presenting on the Food Network, Chiarello, 61, died at the Queen of the Valley Medical Center in Napa, California, on Friday.
According to his reps, he had been treated for the allergic reaction for a week leading up to his death.
He was seemingly unaware of his life-threatening allergy, which Food Allergy Institute CEO Dr Inderpal Randhawa says “is rare but it does happen.”
“Two-thirds of adults with food anaphylaxis develop the disease after 18 years of age,” he said via PEOPLE.
“Having several factors combined at once during a small food allergen exposure can result in a life-threatening event.”
Anaphylactic shocks are often caused by insect stings, peanuts, milk and seafood, as well as medicines such as antibiotics.
A representative for Chiarello has not confirmed if an autopsy report is being conducted.
His family said in a statement: “We deeply mourn the loss of our beloved patriarch Michael.
“His culinary brilliance, boundless creativity, and unwavering commitment to family were at the core of his being. He brought people together through the joy of shared meals, fostering lasting memories around the table.
“As we navigate this profound loss, we hold dear the moments we cherished with him, both in his kitchens and in our hearts.
“His legacy will forever live on in the love he poured into every dish and the passion he instilled in all of us to savor life’s flavours.”